Potters Council 2013 Exhibition Winners
The name of the show is “GREEN”
We are pleased to announce the winners for our fourth annual members juried competition. The exhibition will be concurrently shown during National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA) Conference in Houston 2013, and will showcase the quality work made by the members of the Potters Council, an international organization with members all over the world.
We are pleased to announce that we have invited two Founding members of Potters Council to juror our fourth annual show – Cynthia Bringle and Jonathan Kaplan
Cynthia Bringle | Penland, North Carolina
Having painted in her early days, Cynthia went to the Memphis Academy of Art to continue. After taking several pottery classes she changed her major. After a couple of summers at Haystack School of Crafts in Maine and graduate school at New York State College of Ceramics in Alfred, New York, Cynthia set up her studio. From 1965-1970, She was in Eads, Tennessee and in 1970 she moved to Penland, North Carolina. Being a full time artist is Cynthia’s passion and pleasure.
Honors & Awards
- Life Membership – Southern Highland Craft Guild
- Founding Member and Life Membership with Potters Council
- Fellow of the American Craft Council
- North Carolina Award for Fine Art
- Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts – Memphis College of Art
- North Carolina Living Treasure – University of North Carolina, Wilmington
Jonathan Kaplan | Denver, Colorado
Jonathan Kaplan has enjoyed a lengthy and rewarding career in the ceramic arts as a production potter, mold and model maker, ceramic artist and designer, educator and author. He holds a BFA from Rhode Island School of Design and an MFA from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. Jonathan is a board member of Studio Potter. Currently, he curates Plinth Gallery and maintains a studio practice.
Publications, Exhibitions, and Honors
- Jonathan has authored numerous articles for Ceramics Technical, Ceramics Monthly, Studio Potter, and Pottery Making Illustrated. He was a one of the blog writers for Production Pottery Practices. A recent body of work was reviewed in Ceramics Art and Perception (#85)
- His work has been featured in 500 Teapots, 500 Bowls, 500 Bowls, and is included in the soon to be released The Best of 500 Ceramics: Celebrating a Decade in Clay.
- His work has been exhibited nationally, most recently in the 2012 Yunomi Invitational at AKAR Gallery and as an invited artist in Uncommon Ground 2011 at the Arvada Center co-presented by NCECA and the Arvada Center.
- Jonathan has been honored as a Glaze Doctor, a Business Doctor, panel participant and moderator in many of the NCECA conferences. He is a founding member with a lifetime membership in the Potters Council.
Potters Council Juried Show Exhibition
George R. Brown Convention Center
1001 Avenida de las Americas
Houston, TX 77010
Check out the 2013 Juried Show Poster Available for Purchase
Check Out the Past Winners of Potters Council Juried Show
2012 | The Chromatic Edge | Seattle, Washington