I am a subscriber and I have a question about glazing (or forming, or anything else related to making, decorating, firing, buying, selling, or appreciating ceramic art).
There are several ways to find information on Ceramic Arts Daily and you may not be aware of all of them:
- Please check out the Ceramic Arts Community Forum. Join the community to post your questions or your answers. The forum has a powerful search tool and is filling up fast with valuable information. If you don’t find your answer in the archives, simply start a new topic in the appropriate forum category and someone from the community is sure to provide the answers you need.
- Use our site’s robust search function (upper right corner under the smiling happy faces) to see if the information exists already on the site. A lot of the time it does! And since we are continually adding information, it may have been added since the last time you checked.
- Browse our topic areas on the right side navigation area.
- Check out our Free Gifts page to see if there is a free gift that might address your question. For example, our Buyer’s Guide not only includes a list of nearly 300 ceramics suppliers, but also has information on raku clay, raku glazes, underglazes, raw materials for glazes, what you need for glaze supplies, what to look for when buying a raku kiln or an electric kiln, and more.
- Check out the Ceramic Arts Daily Glossary.
- Browse the Video Archives.
- Search the Ceramics Monthly and Pottery Making Illustrated archive index and then find the archived articles at your library.
- Finally, we offer some great books and DVDs on the ceramic arts in the Ceramic Arts Daily Bookstore.
I am already a subscriber. Can I download the latest free gift?
Absolutely! Once you are a subscriber, you may download each and every free gift offered on our free gifts page including any new releases! Jump to Free Gifts page.
I am a subscriber but I can’t seem to log in. How do I log in?
You might not be logging in at the correct log in page. Make sure you are signing in at the correct place by following these instructions:
- Go to ceramicartsdaily.org.
- Look for the “Already Registered? Please sign in” link at the very top of the page.
- Click “Please Sign in.” This will take you to a log-in page.
- Enter your user name (email address) and password. The user name and password are case sensitive. If you have forgotten your password, you can request a replacement password on the log-in page. Follow the directions and then log in with the replacement password.
- You will land on your manage account page where you can change your password to something that will be easier to remember, if you’d like. Then you can navigate to anywhere on the site using the links on the main turquoise navigation bar.
I am a subscriber but I am having trouble downloading a free gift. How do I download free gifts?
If you are already a subscriber, you need to be signed in to download a free gift. Make sure you are signed in by following these instructions:
- Go to ceramicartsdaily.org.
- Look for the “Already Registered? Please sign in” link towards the top of the home page or on the floating ad, as shown above.
- Click “Please Sign in.” This will take you to a log-in page.
- After you have logged in, navigate to our free gifts page (through the dropdown link at ) and click on the “Get a Free Gift” button or the cover image of the gift you would like to download. This will take you to a page with a link to download the free gift at the top of the page.
- Click the link and your PDF should download to your computer.
I would like to change my password. How do I do this?
To change your password first log in to ceramicartsdaily.org. Please remember our system is case sensitive. Click on “My Account” and then follow the instructions at the bottom of the page to change your password.
I am a subscriber but I am no longer receiving the emails. What gives?
It’s possible that your email client (Outlook, Yahoo, AOL, Gmail, etc.) updated your security settings and is blocking our emails thinking they’re SPAM. To be sure that you get the emails, please add email@example.com to your address book or safe senders list. If this doesn’t solve the problem your next step will be to contact your email client and let them know that you have subscribed to the emails we send and that you would like to continue receiving them!
Why does the video have choppy playback when I view it?
There are several reasons a video might have choppy playback.
1. Connection speed. You’ll need a broadband connection with at least 500+Kbps for the best viewing experience.
2. Our server may be experiencing high traffic. If this is the case, there’s not much you can do. However, we are continuously tweaking our server to keep up with demand and improve your experience on Ceramic Arts Daily.
3. Your video download speed may be slow or inconsistent. In this case, you can try pausing the video until the entire stream is downloaded (the loading bar reaches the end of the player), and then, once the video has completely loaded, try playing the video again.
4. Occasionally, an incomplete copy of a video can get stuck in your cache and never fully download. You can re-attempt the download of the video by clearing your browser’s cache. Here are some how-to instructions on clearing your browser’s cache:
- In Internet Explorer version 7 and above, open a browser window, choose Tools >> Internet Options >> General.
- Then look in the middle of the dialogue box for “Browsing History” and choose “Delete.”
- A new dialogue box with several options is displayed. Only choose the “Temporary Internet Files” option, making sure that all other boxes are unchecked.
- Click “delete.”
- Close your browser, then open it again and refresh your screen.
- This should clear your browser cache.
Please note: Ceramic Arts Daily is supported by Internet Explorer version 7 and above.
The video got stuck and won’t continue to load. What’s up with this?
It could be that an incomplete version of the video is stuck in your browser’s cache. If this is the case, the video will never fully buffer or load.
You can attempt to resolve the situation and restart the video’s buffering (loading) by clearing your browser’s cache (see above). If clearing your browser’s cache doesn’t solve the problem, the video still will not play completely, you might want to check the stability of your internet connection. An unstable internet connection could be a reason for which the video will not load or buffer completely. You’ll need a broadband connection with at least 500+Kbps for the best viewing experience.
I Have a Dial-up Internet Connection. Can I still watch videos?
As you may already know, a slower connection simply means slower delivery of services. Even on dial-up, you should be able to watch our videos. For best results, you may want to start the video player and then click on the PAUSE button immediately. Then, wait until the red progress bar has reached the end of the video before playing it. Allowing the entire video buffer will allow you to watch it without interruption.
Video Player Issues: The video won’t play
If you’re having trouble viewing videos on Ceramic Arts Daily, please try the tips listed below:
For Internet Explorer 9 users:
If you are using Internet Explorer 9 and there is just a big blank where the video intro with the white arrow should be please try clicking on ‘Compatibility View’, which is an icon that looks like a torn piece of paper in the URL box at the upper left of the screen. The video should appear and run.
Videos on Ceramic Arts Daily are streamed through Adobe Flash player (unless you watch them using an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad). For the best viewing experience on a desktop or laptop, we suggest you install the latest version of Adobe Flash player.
Installing the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player:
- Please completely uninstall the version of Flash you’re currently running, before upgrading to the most recent version. To uninstall Flash, follow Adobe’s instructions, listed here.
- Once you’ve uninstalled the older version of Flash, you’ll be ready to upgrade to the most recent version of Flash. To do so, please follow these steps
1. Restart your computer
2. Follow Adobe’s instructions for reinstalling the most recent version of Flash.
3. Once you’ve downloaded the latest version of Adobe Flash, please exit your browser.
4. Finally click to install the update that you just downloaded from the Adobe Flash site.
Once you’ve gone through the installation process, open your browser again and go to Ceramic Arts Daily. You should now be able so successfully watch videos!
If the instructions above don’t resolve the issue, please also try the following:
- Temporarily disable popup blocking software installed on your computer to test.
- Allow ceramicartsdaily.org as a trusted site in your Firewall software.
- Ensure other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player, or Windows Media Player aren’t set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player.
Downloadable Book/DVD FAQs
Downloading large video files requires a broadband Internet connection (at 4 Mbps, video files can take 30–45 minutes to download).
Do not attempt with a dial-up connection.
The link is no longer available
Links to the downloads are only available for 3 days after the purchase is made. Make sure to download and save the book or video right away to your computer. If it has been longer than 3 days since the purchase, contact Customer Service for further assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I did not save the download to my computer and can no longer access link
Contact Customer Service at email@example.com for further assistance. The links to the purchased downloads are only active for 3 days after they are bought; please make sure to download and save the product to your computer right away.
I am unable to locate links for purchased downloadable items
Links to the purchased downloads will be on the Order Confirmation page that appears as soon as the order is processed, as well as in the Email Confirmation that is sent shortly after the order is placed. On the email, it is directly below the Order Details and Total Order Amount where it says “To access your digital purchase(s), click here”.
Book-specific download issues:
How do I get a downloaded book PDF from my browser into iBooks (or another PDF reader) on my iPad?
In Safari: Once the PDF has downloaded and is open in Safari on your iPad, simply tap it to get the dialog at the top of the content window that says “Open in iBooks” and “Open in…”, which will display other PDF readers you may have installed.
In Chrome: Google Chrome for iPad does not connect to iBooks in the way that Safari does, but you can create a bookmark to refer back to it if you prefer to view it in Chrome.
Video-specific download issues:
I cannot open the purchased download file
Videos are delivered in a zip file. If that is not opening, you may need an unzipping utility.
For PCs: Programs to unzip files are free on line, you just need to search for “unzip utility”, choose one, and download it so you can open the zip file to access the video files.
For Macs: You can also hit command + I (for info) to tell your system to open the file with a certain application. You can also check the box that says “do this with all files of this type.”
For iPads: Download the free iZip app from the app store. Once it is downloaded you will be able to open the zip file and access the video files. The link to this application is http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/izip.com/id461682040?mt=8.
Another reason you may be unable to open the file is because of the file extension. You can try to manually change the file extension back to m4v or mp4 and see if that forces your computer to open the file in a player.
I have opened the zip file but the video files will not play
If you have opened the zip file and the video files will not play, then you need a video player. There are many free video players available online, such as QuickTime and Real Player. Links to get them are:
Real Player: http://www.real.com/
If you do have a video player, and it is set to be the default player for video files, and it still will not play, please contact Customer Service for further assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am having problems downloading and playing videos on an IPad
You will need a Wi-Fi connection (3G or 4G cell service will likely not be enough bandwidth). Once the file downloads, a dialog box should appear that says “Open with” and you will want to point it to an unzip utility like iZip—it’s free and available here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/izip.com/id461682040?mt=8
Once unzipped, the videos will play using the onboard video functionality of the iPad, or you can point it to another video app on the iPad.
I cannot view the purchased download video through iTunes. iTunes application opens but does not play; it instead activates the store
If the file has been downloaded successfully, you may not have a player. When the file is opened, the system’s default application is iTunes, since you can load videos into iTunes for viewing.
A. When iTunes opens, navigate to Movies menu item to see if iTunes has loaded it.
B. If the video is not loaded into iTunes, drag it into iTunes Movie window to load it.
C. If you want to use another player, simply right click (control click on a mac) and select “open with,” then navigate to the player you want to use.
Help us help you!
If none of the above addresses your issue, please send an email to email@example.com that includes the following information:
- The type device to which you are downloading. (i.e. laptop or computer, Windows or Mac, tablet or other mobile device)
- The video player with which you are attempting to open the file
- Any error messages you receive
- Type of broadband connection (cable, DSL, dial-up)
- Method of Connection (router, modem)
- How long any attempted downloads have taken