I had an electrician inspect my wiring etc. when I first purchased my kiln...good thing! My house was built in the 70s and had a breaker box infamous for becoming hot and burning down houses. Yeah, it hurt my wallet, but we replaced the entire box (which had been hot at some point in its operation!) and he added a new, separate breaker just for the kiln complete with beefy, correctly-rated copper wiring. It's well-worth the peace of mind ALONE to A) go by manufacturer's specifications and have an old home's wiring inspected and upgraded as needed.