Bust of King George II, modeled by J.M. Rysbrack of Chelsea, England. Made of soft-paste porcelain, ca. 1750, the figure was designed to be a dining table ornament, then a popular item. During that period it was one of a few such figures that was original to English modelers.
Pedestal cup with cover, an example of Silla Pottery, which dates back to the 5th and 6th centuries. The piece, which is approximately 6½ inches high, is light gray, unglazed, with almost no decoration. This stark piece has a strong feeling of solidarity, and appears to be a well-made, useful container.
“Trike,” stoneware/reduction, created by Jacob Brookins, is from the two-man ceramics show, “Concepts in Clay,” an exhibition of the work of Mr. Brookins and Don Bendel. “Concepts in Clay” is a Show Time feature which appears on Page 22 of this issue. Photograph is by Carroll Bennett.
A detail of a construction titled “The Cliff” by Gall Kristensen is the subject of our cover design this month. Several of Mrs.
Kristensen’s combination stoneware and enamel sculptures are discussed in an article beginning on page 28 of this issue.
Howard Kottler’s “Paisley Pot,” earthenware with ceramic decal decoration, was given special mention for crafts in the 53rd May Show at the Cleveland Museum of Art. Howard Kottler was the recipient of a Fulbright grant for study in Finland in 1957, where he worked at the Arabia ceramic factory. In 1964- he received a Doctor of Philosophy degree in ceramic art from The Ohio State University. Since 1964 he has held the position of assistant professor in ceramics at the University of Washington in Seattle.
Verne Funk’s “Covered Mouth Box,” whiteware, handbuilt, was given the Johnson’s Wax Fund, Inc. Award in the 51st Wisconsin Designer-Craftsmen Show, which opened at the Milwaukee Art Center April 28 and remained on view through May 31. Verne Funk is Assistant Professor of Art at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. His work is represented in several collections, including “Objects USA.”
The Archie Bray Foundation is located behind the old beehive kilns that once were used for producing brick and tile at the Western Clay Manufacturing Company near Helena, Montana, in the picturesque Rocky Mountains. The Foundation’s physical plant consists of over 7000 square feet of floor space under roof, a showroom gift shop, ceramic studios, glassblowing facilities, weaving area, a large warehouse, and two residences. In addition to this are several outside areas where work is done during the summer. The feature on the “Bray” starts on page 18.