Submit a Studio Visit to Ceramics Monthly
To be considered for coverage in Ceramics Monthly‘s Studio Visit feature, please provide a few high-resolution digital images of you working in your studio (keeping in mind that we want to see your studio as well as you); a few images of finished work, with caption information; several images of your work at various stages of completion (as if we were visiting your studio); and your honest answers to the questions below.
(You can download these questions in a Microsoft Word form for submitting your answers)
Please answer all of the “Just the Facts” questions. These will be presented along with your answers in a short sidebar.
Just the Facts
- What kind of clay do you use (earthenware, stoneware, porcelain, etc.)?
- Primary forming method:
- Favorite decorating method or surface treatment:
- Primary firing temp/method:
- What is your favorite tool?
- How many pieces do you make in a year?
- Please list your website, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, blog, galleries websites, Etsy, etc.).
Studio Visits are presented with the following sections of text, but the questions will not be presented with your text; they are meant to reflect the interests of our readers, so we would ask that you use them as a starting point for talking about studio life. Please address at least one topic in each section, and feel free to expand beyond the scope of the questions wherever a particular topic resonates with your studio practice. Total word count for this text should be about 1000 words.
- Please describe your studio (size, location, etc.)
- What is your favorite aspect of your studio?
- What is your least favorite aspect?
Paying Dues (and Bills)
- What is your training in ceramics?
- How many hours per week do you spend in the studio?
- Do you have a day job outside your studio? If yes, please define.
- How do you address issues of health and fitness, given the physical demands of making
- What about health insurance, emergencies, preventative care?
- What are you reading (besides Ceramics Monthly, which is obvious)?
- How do you recharge, creatively?
- What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned as a working artist?
- Who buys your work, and where do they buy it (wholesale, retail, galleries, online, all of the above-in what percentages)?
- What marketing strategies do you employ that are unique to you or your work?
- What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of the ways in which you market and sell your work?
- How do you grow your market or find new ones?
- What have been your greatest successes online?
- What have been the most disappointing or frustrating experiences online?
- If there is a question you really want to answer, but we didn’t ask, please answer it anyway.
Images should be delivered as uncompressed four-color (CMYK), 300 dpi image files (preferably tiff), with complete caption information (title, dimensions, specific ceramic medium, forming methods, surface treatment, firing technique and temperature.
All image files and text files should be burned to a CD and mailed to our editorial offices:
Ceramics Monthly Studio Visit
600 N. Cleveland Ave., Suite 210
Westerville, OH 43082
We are unable to acknowledge receipt of materials, but if you have questions, please call 614-794-5869 or email questions to [email protected].